We are the spouses, grandmothers, mothers, sisters, and direct and adopted female descendants of members of The American Legion. Some of us are veterans ourselves.
The Membership program is all about retaining and recruiting members in the American Legion Auxiliary. Membership eligibility includes male and female spouses, grandmothers, mothers, sisters, and direct and adopted female descendant of American Legion members and those veterans who served during WW1 and WW2 to the present who are now deceased. Female veterans can join the ALA based on their own service. The Membership year matches the calendar year–January through December–but the membership drive to renew begins well before then. There is also the option to become a Paid Up For Life member, or PUFL. Members join the Auxiliary for a variety of reasons–to honor the veteran in their family, to find opportunities to volunteer and give back to their community, to promote Americanism and good citizenship, the reasons are endless. Whatever the reason for joining, membership makes an impact at all levels–locally, statewide, and nationally. ~ Sarah Brown, VP
Welcome to the American Legion Auxiliary Membership
Welcome to membership for the 2022 year. It is my hope to try to show our Auxiliary Units how to grow. I know that there are contests out there for Units as well as for members. I will try to gather as much information about all of them as I can and send the information to each unit by either email or postal mail.
I am starting a challenge among the Units. For each Unit that gets a new SENIOR member, that Unit will be put in a drawing to be conducted at the next Department Convention. (If you get four new members, your Unit will be entered four times.) If you let me know each time you get a new SENIOR member (a copy of the application will work), your Unit will be entered in the drawing. An extra entry in the drawing will be for each Unit that does not lose in their membership count (death of a member does not count as a numbers loss for this challenge). As for the Units that do not get a new member, if their numbers stay the same, they will get one entry to the drawing. This challenge will run from July 31, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
The winner of the drawing will be presented $100.00 for their general fund. That means no strings attached as to how it can be spent!
The membership theme this year is “CAN WE, DO IT? YES, WE CAN!” and the mascot is Dora the Explorer with her sidekick monkey “Boots.” Dora will be exploring some ways to suggest for helping the Units grow. And as for Boots the monkey, he will have his red boots on the ground ready to help.
I will be available by cell phone (208-749-0556), email (nanab_1 @ q.com) and by postal mail (510 Oakley Avenue, Burley ID 83318) whenever there are questions or suggestions by anyone. We are all in this together!
Have a wonderful year!
Respectfully submitted, Beth Beedle, Department Vice President 2022
Membership in The American Legion Auxiliary shall be limited to the:
(1) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of members of The American Legion; and
(2) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of all men and women who served in either of the following periods: April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918 and any time after December 7, 1941 who, being a citizen of the United States at the time of their entry therein served on active duty in the Armed Forces of any of the governments associated with the United States during either eligibility periods and died in the line of duty or after honorable discharge;
(3) grandmothers, mothers, sisters, spouses, and direct and adopted female descendants of all men and women who were in the Armed Forces of the United States during either of the following periods: April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918; and any time after December 7, 1941 who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States during either eligibility periods and died in the line of duty or after honorable discharge; and
(4) to those women who of their own right are eligible for membership in The American Legion.*
* A woman who is eligible for American Legion membership is eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary regardless of whether or not she is a member of The American Legion. However, eligibility of her female relatives (sister, mother, direct descendants) and/or spouse depends upon her membership in The American Legion.
Understand the requirements to become a member
Read the requirements that are involved in becoming a member of the American Legion Auxiliary.
Gather proof of eligibility
Note: If the person who provides your eligibility is living, they must be a current member of The American Legion and eligibility documentation is likely not necessary; however you do need to provide his or her American Legion member ID number and Post information on your application.
If the person who provides your eligibility is deceased, acceptable eligibility documents include:
a. DD-214 Discharge Papers (not issued until after the Korean War)
b. Official Military Orders
c. Official Military Service Citations/Awards
d. Letters related to the veteran’s military service. Must be on official government letterhead
e. Certificate from the VA records center in St. Louis
f. Data from the back of older discharges
*DD-214 Discharge Papers can be requested online by visiting www.archives.gov
Fill out and submit your membership application and eligibility documentation to our unit.
Once your application has been submitted, a member of our unit can inform you of our programs, mission activities, events, and annual dues.
Paid Up For Life Membership Application
A PUFL membership demonstrates a lifelong commitment to the American Legion Auxiliary and veterans, military, and their families. The reasons for making the commitment to becoming a Paid Up For Life (PUFL) member of the American Legion Auxiliary may vary for each person. But there’s one thing every PUFL has in common – their membership ensures the Auxiliary can continue to serve the mission into the future.
In addition to showing a commitment to the ALA and the mission, there are several other benefits to becoming a PUFL member:
- Pay once and never be concerned about your dues again. You won’t have to worry about forgetting to renew your membership.
- A rate change in dues won’t affect you. The PUFL rate is calculated based on the current dues rate.
- The honor of being committed to the American Legion Auxiliary for a lifetime!
- Lifetime subscription to Auxiliary magazine.